Facts About Mercury

You probably learned in school that mercury is a poisonous substance. Things haven’t changed since then – it still is. The fact remains that when you are exposed to mercury – even in minute doses, your whole body goes on attack.
Your nervous system and your immune system take the brunt and you may experience common problems such as headaches, acne and fatigue. More serious complaints have related Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer's Disease and Leukemia to mercury poisoning. Whether you eat fish (or other foods) containing mercury, breathe mercury fumes from a factory, spill it onto your skin or grind small amounts from the fillings in your teeth, the fact remains your body absolutely hates having it around – and it lets you know!

Symptoms and signs of mercury toxicity.

But I have "Silver" Fillings
Whether you call them "silver fillings" or "silver-mercury-amalgam" fillings you are talking about the same thing. The current dental controversy hinges on the fact that in the average dental practice, around 75% of all single tooth restorations ("fillings") are made of a material that contains mercury. "Silver" filling materials actually have more mercury than anything else. Usual percentages are approximately:











"Silver-mercury-amalgam" fillings have been used in dentistry for almost 160 years with very little change in composition. In all that time, the theory has been that the mercury was "bound-up" with other metals, so that it could not cause you problems. Research has proven without question that mercury is not nearly as well "bound-up" as previously assumed. If you have mercury fillings, you could be at risk. The mercury can be slowly released from your "fillings" by the simple process of chewing. It is then swallowed, inhaled and absorbed by you and steadily accumulates in your body tissues and organs.

The degree as to how you will be effected depends on your sensitivity to the substance. The literature available varies a great deal on how many people will be sensitive to mercury. In the U.S., percentages range between 2 to 20% of the population, which represents between 4 ˝ million and 46 million mercury sensitive people.

What can I do about it?
The good news is, that in most cases, the effects of this form of mercury contamination are reversible.

Click here to find out more

Return to top of page


We thank you for taking the time to visit this web site.
The information on this site is based on material and research concerning health and dental issues available world-wide from a number of sources, and is necessarily of a general nature.
It is not intended as a substitute for a medical practitioner’s advice, and should not be used for that. Eric Davis Dental actively discourages any self-diagnosis or self-medication. You should consult your medical practitioner regarding the applicability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to any symptoms or medical condition. Eric Davis Dental will not be liable for any errors or omissions that may occur on this website, or for use of any information obtained from this website other than in conjunction with and in accordance with advice and a treatment program provided by Eric Davis Dental.
This website includes information ...[read more]

Common questions about Mercury.

Who is sensitive to mercury?

The literature varies on how many people will be sensitive to mercury.  In the U.S., percentages range from between 2-20% of the population.  Even 2% represents 4,679,620 Mercury sensitive people.  Most articles report a much higher percent of sensitivity. 

Can it be reversed?

The good news is that in most cases this form of mercury contamination is reversible by skilled dentists who specialise in mercury filling removals.  It is very important to understand that there are important protocols that need to be followed so that no further contamination into your system occurs.

What exactly is Dental Amalgam?

Dental amalgam is a substance used to fill cavities in teeth.   It is made up of approximately 50%mercury and the rest in various percentages of copper, silver, tin and zinc.

Why is Dental Amalgam a concern?

The concern is mainly in the use of mercury.  This mercury leaks from the fillings into your body by the simple act of chewing and even breathing.   Once in your body, it can cause an adverse reaction on your immune defence that can open the way for disease to attack your system.